Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mrs. Lopez

"Is is hard to deal with cultural differences?"- a question we got often when we were first married.

No, but sometimes yes. Maybe at first, but not really. Is kind of the answer. I love being Mrs. Lopez. Sometimes I miss the originality of my maiden name. I loved that I could google it (yes, I did that) and come up with information about just me.

But I love it now. I love learning Spanish. I love going to the Spanish branch. I love trying new food, being in a new culture, traveling. I did not understand it at first (and not entirely now) but I get a lot more of the Latin culture. And Jamir has learned things about my culture that we have blended into one family.

This weekend's activities definitely reflected our Mexican side; branch party, baptism (in Spanish), quinceanera and my first talk in Spanish. I really am half Mexican so why should I be surprised?



Es dificil a lidear con las diferencias culturales?- una pregunta que nos preguntaban mucho cuando nos casamos.

La respuesta es: No, pero a veces si. Qizas al principio, pero en realidad no. Me encanta ser llamada la Se~nora Lopez. A veces yo extra~no la originalidad de mi apellido de soltera. De hecho es tan unico que puedo "googolearlo"  (si yo lo he hecho) y encontrar mi informacion.

Pero ahora me encanta. Me encanta aprender Espa~nol. Me encanta ir a la rama en Espa~nol. Me encanta probar comidas nuevas, estar en una cultura nueva, viajar. No entendia al princinpio (y aun ahora no entiendo todo) pero entiendo mas cerca de la cultura Latina. Y Jamir ha aprendido cosas acerca de mi cultura que hemos combinado en una familia.

Este fin de semana reflejo nuestro lado Mexicano; fiesta de la rama, bautismo, quince~nera y mi primero discurso en Espa~nol. Soy mitad Mexicana entonces por que deberia estar sorprendida?


The Medford temple has a nice grassy area where we had our branch bbq. We were able to take pictures of the families who came and actually have someone else take our picture for once :)

Jamir playing a little soccer with the kids. Deep fried chicken (the bronze bowl with bubbles)
and carne asada on left.
 Between activities we went to check out a Mother's Day art and plant festival in downtown Medford. We didn't have much time, but it was fun to walk around and see the entertainment.





We met Emily by going with the missionaries to teach her. She and her sister are so genuinely kind! She invited us to her quince~nera after the first time.



Made a friend with a little boy who liked to pose for me. He was a twin so I can't tell if it was the same boy in each pic
The presentation
Love all the cowboy hats.
 Los Vaqueritos

Jamir's future birthday present (the shoes)
I have officially finished the first Harry Potter and am on the the second. I practically had them memorized growing up so I thought it was a good way to try and learn. This is a big deal for me. I tried to read them the first year we were married and got so frustrated! poco a poco.

And my Mother's Day present. I have named her Lupe and and she sits next to my computer to keep me company.