Sunday, November 3, 2013

Rest in Peace, Maxine

Well, it is official.  Maxine died yesterday.  She was slowly running out of power for a while now.  Basically she doesn't accelerate and the mechanic said it wasn't safe to take her long distances and she would run out soon. I drove her home and the Adele song about "I wish nothing but the best for you" started playing. I think she was speaking to me.

Her robust engine took me all through my car driving years in high school.  She endured many crashes (Sam's car, Miriam Shumway's bumber, hitting a hill too hard and taking out her fog light, a couple others ;) not to mention the many trips down the bumpy dirt road to our house.  She was with me after every cross country practice, after every break up, during all the busy times in high school. She took me and Sarah across Elko with her amazing sound system someone had put in before me. She took me to college packed with stuff.  She endured many jumpstarts and flat tires. She taught me how to drive manual.  And she embraced Cam when he went through high school.

Finally, her windows started to fail, the security system would not turn off (yep, we had to start her by jiggling the battery with the key turned and take the horn fuze out) and she couldn't make it up the big hills. I think she was telling me that her time had come.  I wasn't ready to let go, but she said she had bigger things to accomplish.  Yesterday we left her at her final resting place.  She was so giving that we got a good amount for her heavy body, and new tires. Giving until the end. Good bye Maxine, I will never forget you as MY first car.  

The last days. The first licence plate is Elko and my birth year.



The last time we will see each other.

After we dropped off Maxine, we went rock climbing. It is really nice for November. We have to enjoy these last days with the mountains.  Hopefully we find a place that fits us.



Celebrated Jamir's birthday with steak, shrimp alfredo and pumpkin cheesecake.